Monday, December 19, 2011

The Church Christmas Dinner

My wife belongs to Church where she sings in the choir. She had bought 2 tickets for us to go to a dinner party and told the lady that Louise would be coming, it didn't seem as if it were an issue, at that time.
A few weeks later, one week before the dinner, she recieves a call from a paid Church member  who has known my wife and I for about 15 years (he never met Louise though, only saw one picture).
My wife came home and asked if it was necessary to go to the dinner as Louise, I said no, but what happened for you to ask me after you said it was OK. She said this person had mentioned that because there could be some elderly church members they may not understand or be comfortable with "Louise".
Needless to say I got pretty upset, first off this is supposed to be an open and accepting Church, the assistant minister is even gay. I went over to the church to have a conversation with the minister to get the to the bottom line of the concern. As I went in the person who called my wife said the minister wasn't there and said he would talk with me. I got pretty direct and felt he had a lot of nerve to insult and embarrass my wife that way, he's supposed to be a friend.
The next day I went back, but dressed as Louise and had a chance to talk with the minister (he also only saw my pictures, but never met Louise in person). His comment was, I really doubt anyone will even know, you look great.
Friday was the dinner, the first person to apporch me was the one who made the comment to my wife, he said, WOW, you do look good, I can't beieve it, I'm really glad you came dressed.
We sat with 3 other couples and one single woman. The couples were very friendly, especially this one guy I felt at first would be a tough cookie to handle, he turned out to be VERY accepting and needed to joke with me and mention he loved the Sinfeild episodes with the "manzierre and man bro". The single woman seemed to be over the top and I had to be some what stand offish towards her, I just don't care for some people who want to be to helpful. I'm really not trying to be judgemental, BUT, she had way to many talents for someone at her age to be divorce and without a job since she was a, medical assistant, beautician, makeup artist, legal secretary, jewelry designer, chef, sales person, professional singer and still in collage, seemed pretty versatile to be collecting and living off assistance. Oh yes, she got a couple doggie boxes and filled them with all her food and as many cookies and cakes as she could stuff into them.
Sunday my wife came home from church and was very up beat, everyone who saw us at the dinner had come over to her and complimented her on how good I had looked and presented myself.
I'm so happy for her, she is definitely my hero and has more courage in one finger than I could ever have.
I love you Millie.

Louise

No comments: