Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A night at a Red Neck bar

A couple weeks ago I wanted to go to a bar where a friend of mine hosts Karaoke. I had never been there before and my wife and I looked around for about 30 minuets in the area before we found it.
Brigantine never impressed me as being a "Red Neck" community, I thought because it was somewhat exclusive and expensive to live there most people would be sophisticated and the bar would be more upscale. Did I get a shock, what a dump.
As we walked in they're were people I knew who also liked Mike the karaoke guy and they asked us to sit with them. They had a friend from work with them and I've known these people just on a casual level but it goes to show you, you can't tell a book from it's cover, they are all air traffic controllers at the Tech Center near Atlantic City.
The friend of the couple looked familiar, I probably saw him at one of the other places I go to. My wife sat near him and I could tell he was fairly uncomfortable with my presence. The rest of the people at the bar were a rough looking crowd also.
One of my compulsions is I just need to walk around and push myself on others, if I see them looking at me. I'm not rude at all, but I know they want to talk with me so I need to present myself in a way that allows them to communicate. My opening comment may vary depending on how I think the people may react, I may say, Hi, I'm Louise and offer my hand, or, I may say, do we know each other, so that I can get a statement back like "No" and I will say would you like to? That usually brings a few laughs and breaks the ice.
As I was roaming around, I guess the guy where my wife was, started to question her about me and our relationship, by the time I got back he was a lot more comfortable. I bumped into one couple I knew, I went to school with the guy and another one who was gay, but not out.
The night was fun and when we were ready to leave I wanted to say good night to one lady I spoke with, as I said good night there were 3 really rough looking guys next to her, one grabbed me and said, my buddy wants his picture with you, turned out they were very friendly, I would have had fun with them but it was time to go. Oh he did a picture with his phone and had to break his buddies' chops by saying it was being posted on the net.

No comments: