Sunday, August 17, 2008

Follow up A first,I did it

Well, the young person called me again and begged me to please bail him out, apparently all the "friends" and choices he has made in his adult life have been the wrong one's. I had tried to express to him when we first met that it would be beneficial that he take a different path and that the people he had aligned himself with were not looking out for his benefit.

My thoughts again were, 300.00 bucks were not going to change my lifestyle, but could be enough to destroy him.

I called to confirm that the 1000.00 dollar judgement had been removed and was told that someone had "taken care of it" and the balance was 30.00 dollars. You can't call into these facility's so I decided to drive out with 300.00 as I was first told in case the 30 was a mistake. As I was on my way, the person called me and I explained the balance, he said it was wrong, I talked with him as I went into the facility and confirmed on the phone while talking with the receptionist, she would not clarify how the difference became so little, but I did confirm he was going to be released that night.

I had to leave, there's about a 2-3 hour processing period and it was already 7 PM, I asked about transportation for him and she said he will get a bus ticket. The next day he text ed me a message thanking me. I do have to talk with this kid and see if I can somehow impact to how important it is for him to return to possibly a trade school like the culinary institute we have here and focus on getting a job.

My whole take on this, is that it may have all been prevented if the police are allowed to show some discretion and sympathy for certain situations, I don't know the real story here, but I can see lots of contributory negligence on all sides especially from the powers to be.

(1) why would a person be charged with a crime if they are trying to prevent one.
(2) how can a 1300.00 bail amount be dropped to 30.00 dollars, if that was all the judgement
was the crime had to be very minor, why lock someone up for 2 days.
(3) I did ask if that was a 10% amount that is usually posted but was told that was the TOTAL amount.
(4) I spoke with a social worker and asked if she would at least pass my phone number to him so I could explain what had happened and that I did try to help him out the day before, but it was never delivered.
(5) Something is broke here, I now really have major concerns that the general public is at the mercy of a policed state and little by little due to creeping controls we are losing all of our liberty's as we had known them. The police are afraid to error on the side of rational and tend to over react to many situations.

I have absolutely no knowledge of law, but unless you're financially capable to afford the best, and let me tell you, you will pay through the nose for it, you are going to be intimidated beyond belief and will lose everything you hold dear including your liberty.

No comments: