Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Ultra Conservative at the Anchorage Restaurant Last Night

I went out as Lou last night for a snack, my wife chose not to go with me and it was so cold I didn't feel like dressing up.


As I entered the bar area I didn't recognize anyone and all the seats we taken, although they have another bar in the dinning area, so I sat there nest to an older man.


I like conversation so I brought up a pretty non controversial subject, the weather, the guy went some what ballistic. He said "yeah, that jerk Gore says we're warming and now we're freezing". He started to discuss the Ice Age and other climate changes and that it's just a cycle. Then he starts with being an Ultra conservative and being OK with people of different sexual inclinations but hating the fact that people like Ellen Degeneres push the liberalization issue in his face.


At that point I felt I should keep my mouth shut about my "alter ego", but the owner of the restaurant came over and asked if the guy knew me as Louise, I said Don, please not now. All the time the woman bar tender (I went to school and was in the same business as her father) was looking and shaking her head like saying, I know this guy and he's not going to be nice, so I'm saying nothing.


A couple people walk in who know me and come over to say hi and ask why I'm not dressed and where my wife is, I try to brush it off by saying it's to cold and she had surgery, we have a short conversation and they get seated for dinner. The guy I'm next to asks what people are talking about and I say, you might hit me if I tell you. Of course he says I'd never do that, so I reluctantly give him my card expecting to at least get insulted.


He looks at the card and asks, is that your wife, then turns it over and reads the back, it says "Louise a Female Illusion" and lists that I'm available as a party greater and do photography. He says out load, WOW, that's you, you look great and tells the bar tender to give me a drink (on him) and say's I love it and wants to know how much I charge to be at a party for his brother.


People ask me why I'm compelled to cross-dress, for me it's just being treated the way this "ridged" ultra conservative person was compelled to treat me. After talking with me for about a half hour before I shared my other side, he knew I wasn't off the wall or trying to prove anything, which I guess allowed him to accept "Louise" in a more "LIBERAL" manner, I think I allowed an Ultra Conservative to rethink his opinion about alternative people.

1 comment:

Pat Scales said...

Louise,
You should not have been surprised that your bar mate with ultra conservative political views would be open minded about your Life as Louise.

I tend to be politically conservative. I do not like the amazing growth and power of the government. I also know that many people who share my political leanings tend to be rather libertarian. Our basic desire is that we should be allowed to live our lives without the interference of others. As part of that desire we tend to not have the desire to control others or to interfere in how they want to live their lives.

I not only think that Al Gore was wrong but that his motives were greedy and not in the best interests of the country. He craved power and money and found no shortage of patsies willing and anxious to feed of government lard.

Your bar mate sounds like a reasonable person and perhaps you jumped the gun a bit in pre-judging how he may react to Louise.

Pat