Saturday, November 03, 2007

Acceptance or passing, Bike Shop

For those who do not know, I was a competitive cyclist but only ride to stay fit now. Last week I wanted to get my Mt Bike ready for the season and was dressed as Louise when I took it to the shop. The owner and about 5 employees and a few customers were there. The owner kept looking at my legs (smile), but as far as everyone else they were very polite and no one even made a comment.

I don't pretend to pass for a moment but I make such a nice and non threatening presentation people just seem to accept me for who or what I am. Some people find a need to converse with me about why I CD others just want to know me for me.

I also went to a funeral where the deceased was related to a local politician, so the County Executive, Senator, and some local Mayor's and councilmen where there. Well needless to say they all know me because my brother was County Treasurer for 20 years and all have met me many times as Louise. Again is it acceptance or passing. I feel in today's society it's more about acceptance.

No comments: