Friday, November 20, 2009

The Thrift Shop

As most Wednesday's I visit the local thrift Shop this day as Louise , I do so about every 2-3 months en femme. Please bear with my monologue to the end.

Going back about a year ago, I had some how gotten into a conversation with a woman who at first seem very nice. Most likely the conversation occurred because I was in the woman's department looking at women's blazers.

As usual I opened my big mouth and shared Louise, I always feel or think people will automatically be accepting. She took me by surprise and sort of embarrassed me by saying "you find anything in this place" it was a back handed insult and I didn't forget it. After that I avoided her, I do have to say, I probably surprised her too by sharing my other side when I was Lou, most people just can't picture me en femme even if I show them my pictures which I always carry.

The interesting thing here is, this woman and I see each other every week, even though we no longer acknowledge each other we're aware of the others presence. The Wednesday before last I went shopping as Louise, as I passed an isle she was at the end of, she looked up and said "hi, how are you" I just said fine thanks. I figured she recognized me and was trying to be polite. This past Wednesday (I was Lou) we happened to be next to each other in an isle and I said, so you finally saw my other side, she said "what do you mean" I said I was the little blond you said hello to last week. She was totally stunned, she had no idea and started to rave about how I looked, she was so proud to have seen me as Louise she asked if I has a picture with me so she could show the cashier and her daughter, she treated me as if I were a celebrity.

As I've mentioned over and over, people do take you by the way you look. Most times I know people have a low opinion of me as Lou, but once I present as Louise, it's night and day.

One of my quoits is "If we were all blind, there would be no wars", it's a metaphor, but one I use to express my life as Louise.

I am Louise

No comments: