Thursday, May 19, 2011

A rough day for Lou Wednesday 5/18/2011

This Blog is about Lou & Millie.

Millie (my wife) was scheduled for a knee replacement Friday but was called in early, I had scheduled an eye appointment for the same morning and had to reschedule for the same afternoon. Millie was admitted into the hospital at 8:45 AM and by 11:30 she had a new knee (results are pending as far as recovery). My son had come down from NNJ in order to give his mother moral support. I remained with her till about 3 PM so I could run home, feed and let out our 2 dogs and make it over to my eye appointment, with the intent of returning to the hospital about 6 PM to see my son off and spend a little more time with my wife.

To my surprise, the eye doctor was not impressed with the way I was being treated by the person who had been giving me injections into my eye over the last 4 years, yes I get injections right into my eye ball every 2 months for 4 years, figure it out, 48 injections and trust me, they hurt like hell and take me down for a full day.

After taking my background he decided that I may have become resistant to the serum that was being used and wanted to try the other one (there are only 2 serums for this condition) the one is covered by insurance and is about 50-75 dollars for the serum, the other is 2000.00, the difference is one is specific for eye treatment and the other was developed for women's breast cancer, but was found to be effective for the eye too.

I mentioned my insurance coverage and he said (the more expensive treatment) was now covered and if they didn't cover me he would not charge me. I have to ask everyone, did you ever hear of a doctor volunteering not to charge a patient for treatment, as least now a days, It was my first appointment with this person, it's not as if he had ever met me before, I was very impressed.

Needless to say, my eye hurt like hell, it was 7 PM before I left the eye doctor with no chance of being able to visit my wife, I had all I could do to make it home and take 4 Advil and go to bed with an ice pack on my eye.

Needless to say, I hope I don't have another day like that again. Now I have to hope my wife does well with her recovery.

No comments: